Friday, January 12, 2007

"It wasn't me...It was my evil twin"

It's so amazing to me how at the tender age of 2, Cole and Bella already know how to point blame towards one another. This happens at least once a day. For instance, the other day, Tim was taking them somewhere and asked them each to climb into their carseats but they had other plans. They decided it would be much more entertaining to climb all the way into the back of the mini-van and play "catch me if you can"...Tim was obviously not amused and finally said "Who wants a spanking?" and Bella, without missing a beat, pointed at Cole and said "Cole does". And then another day, one of them spilled juice on the table and when I asked them who spilt the juice, they both pointed fingers at each other!! Cole is pretty good about telling us when he poops in his diaper (yeah, the potty training...not going so well) so when we smell poop, we'll say "which one of you pooped?" and Bella will always say "Cole pooped" and if he didn't, Cole will get very upset at being wrongly accused and say "I didn't poop...Bella pooped". Awhile back, I had found these really cute t-shirts on a site for multiples where one shirt reads "It wasn't me...It was my evil twin" and the other shirt for other twin reads "Evil Twin"....I was SO tempted to buy these shirts but my mom convinced me not to, out of fear that I'd be labeling them. Well, looks like I didn't need to worry about labeling them because they're so good at pointing blame towards each other for everything. I just figured this would happen later when they're a little older OR figuring because they're twins, they'd cover for one another instead of blaming each other to save their own hide.

Bella had an appointment with her pediatrician on Wednesday because of her sleeping issues. Ever since she saw Elmo at the birthday party back in December, she's woken up in the middle of the night, usually around 2 am, and she climbs into bed with us but then she won't go back to sleep for hours. I cheated on bedrest and went with Tim to the appointment because, well honestly, I wanted to hear everything the pedi said, rather than Tim's version, which probably would've gone something like this...."um, he said she's fine....I don't remember what else he said". We basically wanted to rule out any physical reasons why she could be waking in the middle of the night and unable to go back to sleep, like her 2-yr molars, ear infections, sleep disorders, etc. So he ruled all that out and said that her little body has just gotten into the habit of waking at the same time every night and instead of entering the next phase of sleep, she wakes up and then she's completely awake and can't wind down enough to get herself back to sleep. Within the last few nights, she actually hasn't come into our room, but rather she calls out for Tim from her bedroom door and waits for him to come to her room and she wants him to sleep with her in her bed (she's definitely a Daddy's girl). So we figure maybe this is a step in the right direction because she's able to get back to sleep easier and she sleeps much longer in the morning. At some point, we'll have to let her learn to put herself back to sleep but for now, this works for us (and it really works for me because Tim snores horribly and Bella doesn't seem to be bothered by it the way I am!!!)

I'm on my 5th week of bedrest....I keep telling myself that I have a lot to be grateful could be so much worse. I could be in the hospital on bedrest, I could be on magnesium sulfate to stop contractions, it could be worse. But I'm on bedrest at home without any medications at this that's one thing to be happy about. The nurse from the high-risk clinic called me this morning for my weekly monitoring appointment and I told her that the contractions, cramping and backaches I have been having have been easily controlled by drinking extra water and laying on my left side. I drink so much that I spend a majority of my day and night in the's worse in the middle of the night. Because from the time I go to bed at night and then wake up again, it's enough to dehydrate me and cause then I have to drink 1-2 glasses of water and then I wake up every hour to go pee. I can't believe how much fluid I'm taking in just to keep the contractions to a minimum...I must drink at least 100 ounces a day, if not more. Oh well, no sense in's all for a good cause.

Other than that, my life is completely and ultimately boring as hell. I might spend some time shopping online for some crib bedding. Part of me is still apprehensive about buying stuff right's the "glass is half empty" part of me. I have to admit that everytime I have an ultrasound and I see that the little guys are doing well, I still have to pinch myself that this is really happening. For a minute, I panic and think to myself "oh are we gonna do this?" but then I snap back into reality and realize we survived just fine with Cole and Bella. My attitude back then was as long as they went to bed each night happy, pink in color and with full bellies than we must have done something right that day and I'll have the same attitude about these little guys. Ultimately, the God's honest truth is I have no clue what we're doing....I have no clue how we'll handle this...I just have faith that God is watching over us and providing us with patience, strength and a great sense of humor because, let's face it, when you have multiples, you have to have a sense of humor. I don't know any multiples moms who don't have an amazing sense of's the one thing we all seem to have in common. And the other thing we all seem to have in common is the dior need to for structure and's necessary or you'd go insane. Some of my friends who have singletons would laugh at me that I had to make sure we were home at a certain time because Cole and Bella had to nap....or they'd say "you should be more flexible"....there is no such thing as flexibility when you have multiples, in my opinion, not in the beginning anyway. We got off track once after the kids came home from the NICU and it was pure insanity...Tim and I were basically doing rock, paper, scissors to see which one of us would be rewarded with the privilege of sticking out head in the oven to escape the insanity. I mean, one kid was always awake, one kid was always needing to be fed, they were pooping and peeing at different times so virtually round the clock, one of the babies always needed something. With one baby, when it goes down for a nap, you have the luxury of taking a nap, cleaning your house, whatever you want to do....but, during that crazy time, we always had one awake...I finally called one of the nurses in the NICU and cried into the phone "how do we get back on schedule????" and she talked me through it. Thankfully, we were able to get back on schedule and things got better from that point on. Which only taught Tim and I a major lesson...there is no such thing as flexibility with multiples in the first year. We had a schedule and we had to stick to it if we wanted to survive that first year. And so we'll be back to that again with these little guys because it worked the first time...and you gotta learn from your mistakes, right??

1 comment:

Blake said...


You're doing so well. It exhausts me thinking of raising 4 kids, especially two sets of twins, all under the age of 2.5! You rock, girl!

I figure that if the children are alive when my husband gets home at the end of the day, I've done my job.

----Roseanne Barr

Blog Design by Likely Lola