One of my newest bloggy buddies, Kimberly from All Work and No Play Makes Mommy Go Something Something gave me an award....awhile ago.
And you want to know how much I suck as a bloggy friend? I can't even remember what the award was...that's how long ago it was.
But last night as I was going through all the million and one drafts I have (half-written), I stumbled upon this one and realized I never finished it.
Cuz I suck. Oh wait...we've already established that, right?
Just because I forgot about the award doesn't mean I adore Kimberly any less...in fact, she came up with my latest favorite word "fracken". I told her I was stealing it from her...now I walk around saying, "Fracken this" and "Fracken that".
Or wait, maybe her word was "facken"....geez, my memory really does suck. So I could be walking around saying the word wrong...either way, it's much better than saying the actual F word, right?
Of course, I have to watch anything I say around the spawn...who soak up everything I say, except the stuff I want them to hear, know what I mean?
From my half-written draft, I know I'm supposed to write about 10 things that I like.
Here goes nothing....
1) Barry Manilow. Okay, I've said it. I am a Fanilow. And I don't just like Barry Manilow, I love Barry Manilow. Sure, he's not easy on the eyes like, say...Ryan Reynolds or Mark Wahlberg...but his smooth, velvety voice makes him pretty damn sexy. I can't listen to his music without wanting to cry a river. Oh Mandy....
2) Peace and quiet. As if that was a shock, right?
3) Bangs. I grew out my bangs years ago and finally decided I hated how my hair looked. So I went to my stylist a couple weeks ago and after she was done touching-up my highlights, I went in for the kill.
"Uh, I'm thinking I want bangs again", I stammered.
"Bangs? Are you sure?" she asked. She's obviously not a huge fan of bangs.
With each little bit she cut off, she'd look at me in the mirror and say, "Is that good?" and I would shake my head and answer, "Nope, shorter".
I think she was afraid I'd have buyer's regret and spend the next 3 years asking her why she let me do this to myself. I'm sure in her head she was trying to figure out a diplomatic way to tell me, "Please, for all things sacred, do NOT tell people I'm your stylist!"
But, you know what, when she was done cutting and styling my hair...I loved it! Totally and completely LOVED it!!
I'll have one of the kids take my picture soon so you can love it, too. And if you don't...have a heart and just lie to me.
4) Listening to my big spawn trying to explain things to my little spawn. Take, for instance, the other night after they had all had a bath. Landon noticed his hands were all wrinkled and pruny from the water so he asked Cole why. Here was Cole's answer...
"Well, you know sometimes, how there's waves in the water. Well, they get into your skin and you end up looking like an old person."
And Landon was completely satisfied with that explanation.
But you know if I had given him that same explanation, it wouldn't have gone over quite as well. Cuz that's just life.
5) Old re-runs of Roseanne. I'm a die-hard fan for life, people. I'm sure it has something to do with the fact that when the show was originally on the air, I wished so much that Roseanne and Dan Connor were my parents. They seemed cool....and happy. I related most to Darlene...she used humor to get through any situation. That's me, in a nutshell.
6) Baking. Who knew? There's a kind of rush that I get from baking...I can't explain it. I love being able to create something out of nothing. And I absolutely love the looks on people's faces when they see a cake I baked and they ask, "You made that?! Wow!"
7) Hanging with good friends who totally get me (and they still like me anyway). The older I get, the more I realize how important it is to surround yourself with friends who are supportive and encouraging...and who won't go running for the hills when you say, "I can totally understand why some parents shake their kids", when your 3-year old is having his 4th tantrum in a matter of 10 minutes.
8) Cocoa Krispies. Hey, everyone has their weakness...
9) When my kids get along. It doesn't happen often but when it does, it's a serious melt-my-heart moment.
10) Wellbutrin. That's right, people. I bit the bullet and got my grumpy ass back on my all-time favorite drug. I did pretty well when I went off of it for the first few months but recently I've become unglued over the littlest things...so it was time to face the music and start popping happy pills again.
However, I'm not sure it's taken full effect as of yet. How do I know?
The other day, Bella saw me take one and she asked, "Mommy, are those your happy pills?"
I answered, "Yes, I decided to start taking them again."
And she, completely uncensored as always, replied back, "I think you need to take more because I wouldn't consider you happy just yet. Maybe about 5% happy but that's it."
Go visit Kimberly's blog and tell her I sent you! Her writing is amazing...and she's fracken hysterical (or is it facken hysterical?)
How We Budget for Our Summer Bucket List
16 hours ago